Houston County is named for George Smith Houston, who was a Governor of Alabama.
Created: February 9, 1903
Dothan 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Dothan
Location: 114 North Oates Street / East Main Street
Built: 1960 – 1962
Architect: Donofro and Associates of Dothan
Contractor: Slingluff Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a four story red colored brick, glass and stone structure. The west front has a central tower with canopy over the entrance on the first story, high glass wall to a header at the roof line, and forming a high peak at the top. On either side of the tower are brick pillars with glass panels on the outside portion. Along the first story is stone facing with wide arches There are no other windows along the front. The building was redesigned from 2001 to 2002. The architect was Charles Waid of Waid, Parrish and Associates of Dothan and the contractor was Clark Construction.
Note: The previous county courthouse was designed by Andrew J Bryan and constructed by M T Lewman & Company in 1905.
S – Jackson County, Florida
Photos taken 2009