Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 13, 1819
Eric 1819 – 1838
Eutaw 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Eutaw
Location: 400 Morrow Avenue / Tuscaloosa Street
Built: 1993 – 1994
Architect: David Jones Jr. & Associates of Birmingham
Contractor: Campbell & Associates of Tuscaloosa
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of the city acrosss from the old courthouse. The southwest corner has a portico supported by four columns with sloped roof section above. There are columns along the west and south sides with recessed exterior walls with large glass windows. The roof line is flat. The project manger was Willie Howell & Associates of Eutaw.
Old County Courthouse – Eutaw
Location: Morrow Avenue / Boligee Street
Built: 1869 – 1870
Style: Greek Revival with Italianate influence
Architect: George M Figh ( John V Crossland plans )
Contractor: George M Figh
Description: The building faces south and is a two story masonry structure. The building sits in the center of Courthouse Square in the center of the city with the Probate Building ( 1856 ) on the northwest, Grand Jury Building ( 1842 ) on the northeast and the Library ( 1931 ) on the southeast.
Note: The first courthouse in Eutaw was built by John V Crossland of Greensborough in 1838 to 1839. The building was destroyed by fire in 1868. The courthouse was rebuilt in 1869. The original plans of John V Crossland were used with the exception of a much taller second level, three-sash windows, and wider, Italianate eaves and brackets.
E – Hale County
S – Marengo County
W – Sumter County
County Courthouse Building Plans
Old County Courthouse
Grand Jury Building
Photos taken 2010 and 2018