Geneva County is named for Geneva, New York by Henry Yonge who founded the City of Geneva after his hometown.
Created: December 26, 1868
Geneva 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Geneva
Location: 200 North Commerce Street / East Maple Avenue
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc. of Montgomery
Contractor: N L Blaun Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a high portico supported by six square pillars rising to a header at the roof line. The windows are vertical with panels between the windows. The roof is green colored tile. There are lower wings on the north and south sides.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by J J Johnston in 1899. The building burned in 1911 and was rebuilt in 1912. The architect was B B Smith and the contractor was P M Metcalf.
E – Houston County
W – Covington County
Photos taken 2009