Escambia County is named for the Escambia River which name comes from a Spanish word for “barter” or “exchange”, or from the Creek Native American word “Shambia” meaning “clear water”.
Created: December 10, 1868
Brewton 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Brewton
Location: 314 Belleville Avenue / Henderson Street
Architect: Charles H McCauley
Contractor: Bear Brothers Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The west front has a porch with six vertical pillars rising to a wide header along the roof line. The north and south sides of the building have vertical windows with panels between. On the south side is a one story addition which is joined to a two story building at the southeast.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank Lockwood & Smith and constructed by F M Dobson.
Old County Courthouse – Brewton
Location: NW – Belleville Avenue / Court Street
Built: 1885 – 1886
Architect: Rudolph Bundley
Contractor: Charles Schneider
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The east front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story with arched window. The roof is hipped. The building is now The Leigh Place a private residence. .
E – Covington County
W – Baldwin County
Photos taken 2009