DeKalb County

US States / A-G / Alabama / DeKalb County
DeKalb

DeKalb County is named for Johann de Kalb, who was a major general in the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Jackson County

E – Dade County, Georgia, Walker County, Georgia and Chattooga County, Georgia

S – Cherokee County and Etowah County

W – Marshall County

 

Created:  January 9, 1836                                                          Map of Alabama highlighting DeKalb County

County Seat:

Lebanon     1836 – 1876

Fort Payne  1876 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fort Payne

 

Location:  200 Grand Avenue / 3rd Street SW

Built:  1949 – 1950

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc. of Montgomery

Contractor:  Wey-Leonard Construction Company

 

Description:  The building  faces southeast and is a five story brown colored brick and concrete structure.  The building is located on sloped landscaped grounds in the center of Fort Payne. The southwest front has five openings on the first story and six columns rising from the second story to the top of the fourth story with a wide header running below the fifth story. The eaves at the roof line project from the building. There is stone trim on the building corners. The courtroom is located on the third story and the Probate courtroom is located on the first story. Dark red colored brick addition extends down the hill on the south and north sides. In 1974, the fifth story was added. The architect was Dickenson & Davis. The building was renovated in 1999 to 2000. The architect was Alan L Williamson Architect & Associates and the contractor was T U Parks Construction Company. The building was further renovated in 2003.

 

Note:  The architect, Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc. of Montgomery, designed couthouses in Geneva County, Marengo County and Monroe County. The excavation work was done by Cassidy & Stowe and the total cost raised by a bond was $370,000.

 

Old County Courthouse – Lebanon

 

2029c14

 

Location:  County Road 293 / County Road 52

Built:  1841 – 1842

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood  structure. The building was built as a Land Office and Courthouse, and remained the Courthouse of DeKalb County until l876 when the stage coaches serving Lebanon gave way to progress. The county seat moved to Fort Payne in l876 where railway service was available.

 

History:  The first courthouse was built in Lebanon in 1841. The county seat was moved to Fort Payne in 1876. The second courthouse was built by A B Green in Fort Payne and was donated to the county. The masonry work was done by John Napoleon Bonaparte Faulker, assisted by an experienced bricklayer named Dilly Towers. When the building was demolished, some of the bricks were used to construct the Oddfellows Hall in 1891. The third courthouse was designed by Walter Chamberlain and constructed by Pearce & Morgan in 1891. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1949 to 1950. Cassidy & Stowe did the excavation for the present courthouse and the cost of construction was $370,000.

 

 

1160f18

County Courthouse – Fort Payne

 

 

1413a10

 

 

1412a10

 

 

1414a10

 

 

1415a10

 

 

1165f18

 

 

1166f18

 

 

1167f18

 

 

1168f18

 

 

1169f18

 

 

1416a10

 

 

1417a10

 

 

1172f18

 

 

1418a10

 

 

2031c14

Old County Courthouse – Lebanon

 

 

2028c14

 

 

2030c14

 

 

2026c14

Photos taken 2010, 2014 and 2018