Covington County is named for Leonard Covington, who was a general from Maryland.
Created: December 17, 1821
Andalusia 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Andalusia
Location: 100 Courthouse Square / Three Notch Street
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Beaux Arts and Italianate
Architect: Frank Lockwood
Contractor: Frederick Ausfeld
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The south front has a portico supported by six high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the pediment is a stone crest. Behind the portico is a high rectangular section. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1896 to 1897. The bell from the old courthouse is located on the present courthouse grounds.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Covington County Courthouse and Jail District
Photos taken 2009