Conecuh County is named for the Creek Native American term meaning “land of cane”.
Created: February 13, 1818
Evergreen 1813 – present
County Courthouse – Evergreen
Location: 111 Court Street / Rush Street
Built: 2006 – 2007
Architect: 2WR / Holmes, Wilkins Architects Inc.
Contractor: Sharpe, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story gray colored stucco, red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a portico supported by four columns with a pediment with clock at the roof line. On the north and south sides of the front, are three sided towers. The base of the building is red colored brick.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank Lockwood and constructed by W A Andrews. An addition was designed by Martin L Lide and constructed in 1958. Both buildings were razed in 2006.
N – Monroe County
S – Escambia County
W – Monroe County
Photos taken 2009