Colbert County is named for George Colbert and Levi Colbert, who were Chickasaw chiefs.
Created: February 24, 1870
Tuscumbia 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Tuscumbia
Location: 201 North Main Street / West 4th Street
Built: 1881 – 1882
Style: Greek Revival and Italianate
Architect: Edward Laurent of Nashville, Tennessee
Contractor: William Dowling of Chattanooga, Tennessee
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large portico supported by four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is decorative brickwork between the first and second stories. On the center of the roof is a large open dome with clock and white colored dome above. The building burned in 1908 when the interior was gutted. In 1909, the building was rebuilt and a clock tower was added. The architect was Bearden and Foreman and C L Peckinpaugh of Nashville, Tennessee and the contractor was Hosford & Graham.. An addition was built on the north side in 1948. The architect was H A Griffiths Jr. and the contractor was N C Hatcher. An addition was built on the west side in 1973 to 1975. The architect was Northington, Smith, Kranert, Tomblin & Associates and the contractor was B H Craig Construction Company Inc.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Colbert County Courthouse Square Historic District
E – Lawrence County
S – Franklin County
W – Tishomingo County, Mississippi
Photos taken 2010 and 2018