Coffee County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Coffee County
Coffee

Coffee County is named for John Coffee, who was a general who fought in the Creek War.

 

Created:  December 29, 1841

County Seat:

Welburn  1841 – 1852

Elba        1852 – present

 

County Courthouse – Elba

 

Location:  230 Court Avenue / Simmons Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Andrew J Bryan

Contractor:  M T Lewman & Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description:  The building faces west and  is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The west front has a large arch with recessed entrance. Above the entrance is a balcony with arched doorway on the second story. Above rises a square brick clock tower with clock and steep roof. On either side of the entrance are round towers with conical roofs. The windows on the second story are arched.

 

See: The architect,  Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouse in Lee County and Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County, Pulaski County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Bracken Couinty and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish;  in Mississippi in Attala County and Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County.

 

See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

See: National Register of Historic Places – Coffee County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Enterprise

 

1689f09

 

Location:  99 South Edwards Street / East College Street

Built:  1998 – 1999

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Joe Donofro, Jr.

Contractor:  Saliba Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southwest front has a large portico with six large white columns. The entrance is recessed. The first story has square arches with recessed windows.

 

Courthouses: 

Pike County

E – Dale County

S – Geneva County

W – Covington County and Crenshaw County

 

 

1675f09

 

 

1676f09

 

 

1677f09

 

 

1674f09

 

 

1678f09

 

 

1679f09

 

 

1687f09

 

 

1688f09

 

 

1690f09

Photos taken 2009