Cherokee County is named for the Cherokee Native American people.
Created: January 9, 1836
Centre 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Centre
Location: 100 Main Street / Cedar Bluff Road
Built: 1936 – 1937
Architect: Paul W Hofferbert
Contractor: Duke Stickney Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure.The south front has a small projecting section at the recessed entrance on the first story. Above the second story windows is a clock. The east and west wings are lower. On the north side is an addition. The roof line is flat. On the south side of the building is the one story Administration Building.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Joe B Patton in 1896.
N – DeKalb County
W – Etowah County
Photos taken 2010