Chambers County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Chambers County
Chambers

Chambers County is named for Henry H Chambers, who was a United States Senator.

 

Created:  December 18, 1832

County Seat:

Lafayette  1832 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lafayette

 

Location:  2 South Lafayette Street / Alabama Avenue East

Built:  1899 – 1900

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Golucke & Stewart

Contractor:  Phil Yeager & Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of Lafayette. The east front has a projecting center section with three arches on the first story with recessed entrance. On the second story is a porch with four columns and pediment above. The second story windows are arched. On each corner is a dome with cupola at the top. On the center of the roof is an octagonal brick dome with cupola and Statue of Justice at the top. The clock is the original clock from the 1836 courthouse. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was expended on the south side with a modern addition in 2002 to 2003. The architect was Turner Batson and the contractor was Brice Building Company Inc. of Birmingham.

 

History:  The first courthouse was a two story structure built in Lafayette in 1836. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1899 to 1900.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Randolph County

E – Troup County, Georgia and Harris County, Georgia

S – Lee County

W – Tallapoosa County 

 

 

 

0792a10

County Courthouse – Lafayette

 

 

0794a10

 

 

0795a10

 

 

0797a10

 

 

0802a10

 

 

0803a10

 

 

0804a10

 

 

0805a10

 

 

0800a10

 

 

0807a10

 

 

0808a10

 

 

0809a10

Photos taken 2010