Wasatch County is named for the Native American word meaning “mountain pass”.
Created: January 17, 1862
Heber City 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Heber City
Location: 1361 South Highway 40 / East 1200 Street South
Built: 1993 – 1994
Architect: EAD Inc.
Contractor: Brown-Foutz Company
Description: The building faces west and is a one story yellow colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of the city. The west front has a projecting wall with square openings. Behind the wall the building rises to a peak above the central entrance.
Note: The first courts met in the Latter Day Saints Tithing Office. In 1882 the first courthouse was designed and constructed by Alexander Fortie. An addition was constructed in 1924. The second courthouse was constructed in 1967.
County Administration – Heber City
Location: 73 Main Street / West Center Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Young & Fowler Associates
Contractor: Richard J Miller & Sons
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has wide steps leading up to the recessed glass entrance. White colored horizontal bands run below the flat roof line. The building served as the courthouse until the new courthouse was constructed.
North – Summit County
East – Duchesne County
South – Utah County
Photos taken 2009