Utah County is named for the Ute Native American tribe called by the Spanish name of “Yute”.
Created: March 3, 1853
Provo 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Provo
Location: 60 West Center Street / South 100 Street East
Built: 1920 – 1928
Architect: Joseph Nelson
Contractor: Rudine and Chytraus
Description: The building faces west and is a two story oolite limestone structure. The west front has a large portico supported by six white columns rising to a wide pediment with frieze at the roof line. Above the pediment is a large square section rising above the roof line. The roof line is flat with a projecting cornice. The interior has a skylight and marble hallways. The building is surrounded by spacious grounds.
Note: The old courthouse was constructed by L C Synder Smoot & Company in 1872. The building was demolished when the present courthouse was constructed.
County Justice Building – Provo
Location: 151 South University Avenue / E 100 S Street
Built: 2003 – 2004
Architect: Gillies, Stronsky, Brews & Smith
Contractor: Control, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brick, glass and concrete structure. The west and east entrances are framed with stone with red colored brick facing on the main part of the building. Buff colored brick facing runs north and south along the building. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Provo
Location: 100 East Center Street / South 100 Street East
Built: 1987 – 1988
Architect: MHTN Architects of Salt Lake City
Contractor: Jacobsen Construction of Salt Lake City
Description: The building faces north and is a four story white colored concrete and glass structure. The building has a flat roof line.
North – Salt Lake County
Photos taken 2009 and 2013