Uintah County

US States / O-U / Utah / Uintah County
Uintah

Uintah County is named for the Uintah Native America Tribe, a Ute tribe who inhabited the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Daggett County 

E – Moffat County, Colorado, Rio Blanco County, Colorado, Garfield County, Colorado and Mesa County, Colorado

S – Grand County

W – Carbon County and Duchesne County

 

Created:  February 18, 1880                  Map of Utah highlighting Uintah County

County Seat: 

Vernal  1880 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Vernal 

 

Location:  152 East Main Street / North 100 East Street

Built:  1958 – 1959

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Lorenzo & Young Inc.

Contractor:  Grant Hanson Construction Company of Altamont

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Vernal. The building is built into a slope with the south entrance on the second story. A canopy extends out from the center of the building at the entrance. The west side has windows in the center and the east side has horizontal windows. The building houses the County Commission. The building was remodeled in 1986. The architect was Molen Associates Inc. and the contractor was Adamson Engineering Inc. The north addition was built in 1983 and completed in 1984 as the fourth county courthouse. The building is a three story red colored brick rectangular structure. The roof line is flat. The architect was Molen Associates Inc. and the contractor was Adamson Engineering Inc. Both buildings are now the the Unitah County Heritage Museum.

 

County Courthouse – Vernal 

 

Location:  920 US Highway 40 / East Main Street

Built:  1999 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Scott P Evans Architect and Associates

Contractor:  Spectrum Construction of Utah LLC.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Vernal. The north front has five arches rising to the top of the third story. The first story entrance is central with a peak above. At the roof line is peak. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the 8th District & Juvenile Courts. The building houses the County District Court and County District Juvenile Court of the 8th Judicial District. 

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Daggett County and Duchesne County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1880 and Ashley was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was the house of William Gibson purchased by the county in 1881 for $300. The county seat was moved to Vernal in 1893 and the courthouse was also moved and became the Clerk’s Office. The second courthouse was a two story red colored brick structure designed by R C Watkins and constructed by Holmes & Watkins in 1900 at a cost of $16,000. The third courthouse was constructed in 1958 to 1959 at a cost of $367,600 and the second courthouse was torn down. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1983 to 1984 on the north side of the third courthouse. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1999 to 2001.

 

 

x_5

Old County Courthouse – Vernal

 

 

0388u09

 

 

0391u09

 

 

0392u09

 

 

0393u09

 

 

0394u09

 

 

0389u09

 

 

x1_2

Fourth County Courthouse – Vernal

 

 

0395u09

Picture 1900 County Courthouse

 

 

0396u09

Photos taken 2009