Sanpete County is named for San Pitch, who was a leader in Utah and his names was corrupted to “Sanpete”.
Created: March 3, 1852
Manti 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Manti
Location: 160 North Main Street / East 205 North Street
Built: 1935 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Lorenzo S Young
Contractor: Frank Mavlett and Darrell J Greewell ( WPA Superintendants ).
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored polished stone, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has four narrow vertical windows in the center section with the entrance flanked by two Art Deco lighting fixtures. And with the fifth narrow window above the doorway. The roof line is flat. The building was a Works Project Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1864 and an addition was built in 1873.
S – Sevier County
Photos taken 2008 and 2015