Piute County

US States / O-U / Utah / Piute County
Piute

Piute County is named for the Piute, a Native American Tribe who resided in the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sevier County 

E – Wayne County

S – Garfield County

W – Beaver County

Created:  January 16, 1865                    Map of Utah highlighting Piute County

County Seat: 

Circelville      1865 – 1869

Bullon City    1869 – 1880

Marysvale     1880 – 1888

Junction        1888 – present

 

County Courthouse – Junction 

 

Location:  550 North Main Street / 500 North Street

Built:  1996 – 1997

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Kevin Madsen and Kyle Harris

Contractor:  G P Construction Services ( Gary Powell ) of American Fork

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story multi-colored brick, wood, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of Junction. The building has a large portico supported by six white colored columns with a recessed arched glass entrance. The windows along the building are arched. At each corner, the building extends with white colored columns supporting the overhang. 

 

Old County Courthouse – Junction 

 

1152az08

 

Location:  21 North Main Street / Center Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Edwardian-Victorian

Architect:  R C Watkins of Provo

Contractor:  Young, Allen & Morrill

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Junction. The brick walls are set on granite slabs hauled from nearby Kingston. The building has a one story arch brick portico with balcony above. On the southeast corner is a four story square brick tower with peaked roof. A white colored cornice follows the roof line. Small peaked roof towers are located on the other three corners of the building. The roof is hipped. The courtroom was located on the second story with its judge’s stand and jury box. The wood trim on the interior was hand turned on the site. The building is now the Family Reunion-Junction Courthouse.

 

Note:  Willard Bay and two father-and-son teams-Jorgen Peterson and son James and John Ackerman and his teen-age son Joseph made every one of the 200,000 bricks that went into the building. They set up their brickmaking operation near the construction site. Jim Martensen hauled the clay for the bricks. John Morrill donated the land. A fire in 1943 damaged parts of the interior.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Piute County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1865 and Circleville was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Bullion City in 1869. The county seat was moved to Marysvale in 1880. In 1888, the county seat was moved to Junction and the first courthouse, a log schoolhouse was built to double as a courthouse. The second courthouse was built in 1902 to 1903 at a cost of $7,760. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1996 to 1997.

 

 

z_0

County Courthouse – Junction

 

 

1156az08

 

 

1157az08_0

 

 

1154az08

Old County Courthouse – Junction

 

 

x_2

 

 

1153az08

 

 

1151az08

 

 

1158az08

Photos talen 2008