Morgan County is named for Daniel Morgan, who was a pioneer, soldier and United States Representative from Virginia.
Created: January 17, 1862
Morgan 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Morgan
Location: 48 West Young Street / State Street
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: Lawrence D Olpin of Ogden
Contractor: Ernest Stettler & Sons, Construction Company Inc, of Logan
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story brick, concrete and glass structure. The southeast center section extends out from the main building and has large glass windows and entrance doors on the east and west sides. The windows are horizontal with metal dividers. On the north side is a section which extends west and houses the courtroom. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Morgan City & County Memorial Building.
Note: The old courthouse constructed in 1878 was a two story brick structure. The building was demolished. when the present courthouse was completed in 1958.
W – Davis County
Photos taken 2009 and 2013