Garfield County is named for James Abram Garfield, who was the twelfth President of the United States of America.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – San Juan County
S – Kane County
Created: March 9, 1882
Panguitch 1882 – present
County Courthouse – Panguitch
Location: 55 South Main Street / East 100 Street South
Built: 1907 – 1908
Architect: R C Watkins
Contractor: E Burton
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Panguitch. The building has a large square projecting brick tower at the center front rising to the third story with a peaked roof and weather vane. The tower windows are arched and narrow and the first story entrance is arched. The roof is hipped. On the north side is a one story red colored brick addition constructed in 1984. The addition houses the court. The architect was Gardner & Gardner and the contractor was Valley Construction and Jack Maxwell. The courthouse was renovated in 2012 to 2013 and a two story red colored brick wing was added to the north addition which was increased to two stories with horizontal windows along the second story. The wing has a large square tower on the southeast corner with high vertical windows. At the center of the west front is a projecting one story arched entrance. The roof is hipped. The architect was Cooper Roberts Simonsen Associates (CRSA) and the contractor was Jacobsen Construction.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Panguitch Historic District
History: The county was created in 1882 and Panguitch was selected as the county seat. The county was attached to Iron County and Beaver County for judicial purposes. The county used rented space until the first and present county house was constructed in 1907 to 1908 at a cost of $11,400. An additions was constructed in 1984. Another addition was constructed in 2011 to 2012 at a cost of $4,600,000.
County Courthoouse - Panguitch
Photos taken 2008