Beaver County

US States / O-U / Utah / Beaver County
Beaver-O

Beaver County is named for the many beavers located in the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Millard County

E – Sevier County and Piute County

S – Garfield County and Iron County

W – Lincoln County, Nevada

Created:  January 5, 1856                      Map of Utah highlighting Beaver County

County Seat: 

Beaver  1858 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Beaver 

 

Location:  60 West Center Street / South 100 Street East

Built:  1876 – 1882

Style:  Victorian

Architect:  William Stokes

Contractor:  William Stokes

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Beaver. The building has an arched entrance on the first story. Above the entrance is a small balcony with white colored doors. At the roof is a square wood cupola with clock and at the top is an octagonal wood cupola with round black colored roof and topped with four bull’s-eye windows and an iron weather vane. There is a small third story attic. The foundation is black igneous rock quarried in the mountains. The interior has walls and ceilings of painted plaster. Interior doors are five panel with glass transoms to offices. A square shaped courtroom occupies the front of the second story. The ceiling is divided into nine coffers by beams in both directions with acorn pendants at intersections. Beams rest on turned struts coming out of flat pilasters. Two metal pipe columns under the back corners of this tower have metal capitals ornamented with leaves and an ornamental band at eye level. The judge’s bench has small heavily moulded panels behind heavily ornamented columnar forms which support a sort of cornice which surrounds the counter surface. Windows and doors are framed with fluted pilasters; keystones of the elliptical arches are brackets surmounted by segmental arched pediments. Railings have partially turned balusters and newels with hemispherical bumps on balusters and sides of railing. The building was rebuilt in 1889. The architect and contractor was Richard K A Kletting. A sandstone jail was constructed at the rear of the building.

 

Note:  William Stokes, a former Union soldier, directed the building of the courthouse. The courthouse was partially destroyed by fire 1n 1889 and was rebuilt. On November 14, 1901, the courthouse was damaged by an earth quake.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Beaver County Courthouse

 

County Public Safety Building – Beaver 

 

1148az08

 

Location:  2160 South 600 Street West / Interstate 15 ( Exit 109 )

Built:  1996 – 1998

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Abram Gillies of Gillies Stranssky Brems Smith of Salt Lake City

Contractor:  Sahara Construction Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the south of the center of Beaver. The east front has an open portico of concrete pillars and white colored beams with the entrance being recessed. The windows aresquare and the roof line is flat. The building also houses the County Jail. 

 

County Administration Building – Beaver

 

1145az08

 

Location:  105 East Center Street / South 100 Street East

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Edwards & Daniels Architects, Inc. of Salt Lake City

Contractor:  Prestwich and Healy

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story reddish colored brick and concrete  structure. The building is located in the center of Beaver The building has few windows and has a central entrance on the south front. Above the entrance is a large glass section. In the interior on the second story is the former courtroom which is now the Commissioner Room. The building served as the second County Courthouse until the Public Safety Building was constructed in 1998.

 

History:  The county was created in 1855 and Beaver was selected as the county seat in 1858. The county used rented premises until the first courthouse was built in 1876 to 1882 at a cost of $10,960. The second courthouse was constructed in 1974 to 1975 and is now the Administration Building. The third courthouse was constructed in 1996 to 1998.

 

 

1140az08

Old County Courthouse – Beaver

 

 

x1

 

 

1139az08

 

 

1141az08

 

 

2469c13

 

 

2474c13

 

 

1147az08

County Public Safety Building – Beaver

 

 

1146az08

 

 

1149az08

 

 

1144az08

County Administration Building – Beaver

 

 

2477c13

 

 

2478c13

 

 

2479c13

 

 

2480c13

 

 

2481c13

 

 

1142az

Old Opera House – Beaver

Photos taken 2008 and 2013