Zavala County is named for Lorenzo de Zavala, who was a Mexican Politian. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and the first vice president of the Republic of Texas.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Uvalde County
E – Frio County
S – Dimmit County
W – Maverick County
Created: February 1, 1858
Batesville 1858 – 1928
Crystal City 1928 – present
County Courthouse – Crystal City
Location: 200 East Uvalde Street / North 1st Street
Built: 1970 – 1971
Architect: Gene P Hobart
Contractor: Clyde Abbott Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story steel and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has an overhanging eave with recessed glass walls. The roof line is flat. On the southeast side is the attached buff colored brick jail designed by Gondeck-Poage Partnership of San Antonio and constructed by Guarani Builders of Eagle Pass in 1984.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story structure built in Batesville in 1885. The building was torn down in 1947. The second and previous courthouse was designed by H T Phelps and constructed by Jacob Banspach in 1928 when the county seat was moved to Crystal City. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $475,000.
County Courthouse - Crystal City
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019