Zapata County is named for Jose Antonio de Zapata, who was a rancher in the area and a rebel against Mexico.
Created: January 22, 1858
Carrizo 1858 – 1953
Zapata 1953 – present
County Courthouse – Zapata
Location: 200 East 7th Street / Hidalgo Boulevard
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: Morgan Spear Associated, Inc.
Contractor: Satterfield & Portikes Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff and red colored brick, stone, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a larger first story with the second and third stories being recessed. The north front has an arched portico with brick pillars and recessed entrance. On the center of the roof is a round dome faced with red colored titles.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1874 and the second courthouse was a two story structure built in 1901 in Carrizo. The Falcon Reservoir flooded Carrizo and the third courthouse was a two story rectangular structure constructed by W Uhlhorn in 1953. The building was demolished in 2006 when the fourth and present courthouse was completed.
N – Webb County
E – Jim Hogg County
S – Starr County
W – Mexico
Photos taken 2006 and 2014