Wilson County is named for John Charles Wilson, who was a Texas state senator, Methodist minister and a member of the ill-fated Somervell Expedition into Mexico.
Created: February 15, 1860
Floresville 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Floresville
Location: 420 3rd Street / D Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Second Empire and Italianate
Architect: Alfred Gilles of San Antonio
Contractor: Sidney Mead
Description: The building faces west and is a two story cream colored brick style structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a projecting center section with small portico supported by two columns with balcony above, on the first story. The section rises to a peaked roof with the statue of Justice at the top. The windows are arched and white stone trim decorated the corners of the building. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with steep red roof. An addition was added on the east side of the building. An addition was added on the east side of the building in 1986. The architect was Schubert and Williams Inc. and the contractor was Seiler Construction Inc..To the east of the courthouse is the old C ounty Jail built in 1887.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1872.
E – Karnes County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2009 and 2017