Wheeler County

US States / O-U / Texas / Wheeler County
0302TW14

Wheeler County is named for Royal Tyler Wheeler, who was the second Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court.

 

Created:  August 21, 1876

County Seat: 

Mobeetie  1876 – 1908

Wheeler   1908 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wheeler  

 

Location:  401 South Main Street / East Oklahoma Avenue

Built:  1924 – 1925

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  E H Eads of Shamrock

Contractor:  Hughes & Campbell

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large porch with four columns rising to a header at the roof line. The recessed entrance on the first story is arched. The north and south sections has pediments at the roof line. The roof line is flat. On the southeast corner of courthouse square is the old jail built in 1909.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1880. The second courthouse was built in 1888, was moved to Wheeler in 1908 and served until the present courthouse was constructed in 1925.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Hemphill County

E – Roger Mills County, Oklahoma and Beckham County, Oklahoma

S – Collingsworth County

W – Gray County

 

 

 

0303tw14

County Courthouse

 

 

0304tw14

 

 

0305tw14

 

 

0306tw14

 

 

0307tw14

 

 

0308tw14

 

 

0310tw14

 

 

0311tw14

 

 

0312tw14

 

 

0313tw14

 

 

0314tw14

 

 

0315tw14

 

 

0316tw14

 

 

0318tw14

 

 

0320tw14

Old County Jail

 

 

0321tw14

Photos taken 2014 and 2016