Val Verde County

US States / O-U / Texas / Val Verde County
1766T14

Val Verde County is named for the American Civil War Battle of Val Verdes which is the Spanish meaning “green valley”.

 

Created:  February 20, 1885

County Seat: 

Del Rio  1885 – present

 

County Courthouse – Del Rio  

 

Location:  400 Pecan Street / East Greenwood Street

Built:  1886 – 1887

Style:  Second Empire

Architect:  Larmour & Watson of Austin

Contractor:  Hood & McLeod

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Each corner of the building has an octagonal shaped stone tower, The south front and east and west sides have small porticoes with four columns with balcony on the second story. On each side the roof rises to peaks. The roof line is flat. The building was restored in 1915. The architect was Atlee B Ayres. On the north side of Courthouse Square is the stone County Jail designed by Weidner & Walther and constructed by J & J Wrigley in 1956 and the County Attorney Office constructed in 1993.

 

See:  The architect, A O Watson designed other courthouses in De Witt County, Haskell CountyLlano County and Milam County.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Del Rio  

 

1778t14_0

 

Location:  401 Mill Street / East Greenwood Street

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Joe Miller Architect Inc.

Contractor:  Carta Blanca Corporation.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white colored structure. The rectangular building is located on the east side of the courthouse. The west side and east side have glass paneled entrances. The windows are vertical and the roof line is flat. The building is known as the Alicemae Fitzpatrick Building.

 

County Judicial Center – Del Rio  

 

1792t14

 

Location:  100 East Broadway / Main Street

Built:  1911 – 1912

Style:  Spanish

Architect:  James Knox Taylor

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story cream colored stucco structure. The southeast front has three arched entrances and arched windows on the first story. The second story has small balconies. There is a cornice below the third floor. The hipped roof is red colored title. The building was formerly the Post Office.  The building was converted for use as a courthouse in 1996.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Crockett County and Sutton County

E – Edwards County and Kinney County

S – Mexico

W – Mexico and Terrell County

 

 

 

1767t14

County Courthouse

 

 

1768t14

 

 

1769t14

 

 

1770t14

 

 

1771t14

 

 

1772t14

 

 

2180t19

 

 

2181t19

 

 

2182t19

 

 

2183t19

 

 

2184t19

 

 

2185t19

 

 

2186t19

 

 

1775t14_0

 

 

1776t14_0

 

 

1777t14

 

 

1779t14_0

County Courthouse Annex

 

 

1780t14

 

 

1782t14_0

 

 

1795t14

County Judicial Center

 

 

1791t14

 

 

1793t14

 

 

1794t14

 

 

1796t14

 

 

1797t14

Photos taken 2014 and 2019