Uvalde County is named for Juan de Ugalde, who was the Spanish Governor of Coahuila and a Spanish General who won a battle against 300 Apaches in the Sabinal River Canyon on January 9, 1790.
Created: February 8, 1850
Uvalde 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Uvalde
Location: 100 North Getty Street / Main Street
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Texas Renaissance and Classical Revival
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: M H Ryland of Uvalde
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored brick and limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a large portico supported by three wide arches on the first story and four columns on the second and third stories. Above is a pediment with clock at the top. The first story has white colored stone.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1877. The second and previous courthouse was designed by Benjamin Franklin Trestler and constructed by John Cormack in 1890.
E – Medina County
S – Zavala County
W – Kinney County
Photos taken 2006 and 2017