Upton County is named for John Cunningham Upton and William Felton Upton, who were brothers and lieutenants in the Confederate army.
Created: February 26, 1887
Upland 1887 – 1921
Rankin 1921 – present
County Courthouse – Rankin
Location: 205 10th Avenue / Grand Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Architect: David S Castle Company of Abilene
Contractor: C S Oates and Son of Abilene
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a high rectangular section with entrance on the first story and blue-green colored panels above. The east and west wings project. The windows are vertical with blue-green colored panels between. The roof line is flat. The large courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The County Court courtroom is located on the northwest side of the first story. An addition was constructed in 1958. The architect was Leonard F Crockett & Associates and the contractor was J D Burk Construction Company.
See: The architect, David S Castle of Abilene, designed courthouses in Borden County, Hansford County, Irion County, Mitchell County, Reagan County, Stephens County, Sterling County and Winkler County. The contractor C S Oates and Son of Abilene also constructed the courthouse in Winkler County.
Note: The first courthouse was built by L R Wright and O L Hitchcock at Upland in 1911. The county seat was moved to Rankin and the second courthouse was built in 1926 at a cost of $36.368. David S Castle Company was hired to supervise construction. In 1926, a jail was built by John K English in McCamey..
N – Midland County
E – Reagan County
S – Crockett County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2014 and 2019