Upshur County

US States / O-U / Texas / Upshur County
1236T10

Upshur County is named for Abel Parker Upshur, who was the fifteenth secretary of state of the United States from 1843 to 1844.

 

Created:  April 27, 1846

County Seat: 

Gilmer  1846 – present

 

County Courthouse – Gilmer  

 

Location:  100 West Tyler Street / Henderson Street

Built:  1932 – 1933

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  Elmer G Withers

Contractor:  James T Taylor

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The south front has three arches on the first story with recessed entrance. The east and west corner sections project slightly. The third story is smaller and recessed. There are yellow colored vertical panels between the windows. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1974. The architect was Leland A Guinn AIA of Longview and the contractor was Besco Construction Company of Longview.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was constructed in 1889,

 

Courthouses: 

N – Camp County

E – Morris County and Harrison County

S – Gregg County and Smith County

W – Wood County

 

 

 

0863t17

 

 

1234t10

 

 

1235t10

 

 

1237t10

 

 

1238t10

 

 

0864t17

 

 

1239t10

 

 

1240t10

 

 

0870t17

 

 

1242t10

 

 

1243t10

 

 

1244t10

Photos taken 2010 and 2017