Tyler County is named for John Tyler, who was the tenth president of the United States from 1841 to 1845.
Created: April 3, 1846
Woodville 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Woodville
Location: 100 West Bluff Street / South Magnolia Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Italianate and Classical Revival
Architect: T S Hodges of Glover and Hodges of Corpus Christi
Contractor: M A McKnight & McKnight Brothers
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the city center. The north front has a large staircase to the second story entrance. The windows are arched. Above the entrance are three small windows on the third story and a large square tower with smaller tower on the fifth story. The roof line is flat. The addition on the south side was constructed in 1935 to 1937 under the Works Progress Administration. The architect was W C Meador.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1840. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure in 1856. The third courthouse was constructed at a cost of $30,000.
N – Angelina County
E – Jasper County
S – Hardin County
W – Polk County
Photos taken 2011