Throckmorton County is named for William Edward Throckmorton, who was an early Collin County settler.
Created: January 13, 1858
Williamsburg 1858 – 1879
Throckmorton 1879 – present
County Courthouse – Throckmorton
Location: 101 South Minter Avenue / West Chestnut Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Architect: Martin, Byrne & Johnston
Contractor: J L Dewes & Jacob Rath
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a slightly projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story, double windows on the second story and pediment at the roof line. There are north and south wings. On the center of the roof is a high square tower with steep red colored roof. The roof is hipped. An annex was constructed in 1938. The building was restored in 2014 to 2015. The architect was Komatsu Architecture and the contractor was KBL Restoration.
See: The architect, Martin, Byrne & Johnston also designed the courthouse in Stonewall County.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Williamsburg in 1879. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $16,450.
N – Baylor County
E – Young County
W – Haskell County
Photos taken 2014