Terry County is named for Benjamin Franklin Terry, who was a Confederate colonel and commander of the Terry Texas Rangers.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Hockley County
E – Lynn County
W – Yoakum County
Created: August 21, 1876
Brownfield 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Brownfield
Location: 500 West Main Street / South 6th Street
Built: 1924 – 1925
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Peters & Haynes
Contractor: J M Morgan Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a central entrance on the first story with six columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with arched windows between. The west side has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and two columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. A balustrade runs along part of the flat roof line. The courtroom is located at the center of the second story. In 1951 an addition was added on the east side which doubled the size of the building. The architect was Carl H Stautz of Austin and the contractor was Walter Droemer of Giddings. In 1981, the jail facility was remodeled. The architect was Atkinson, Atkinson & Associates and the contractor was Ed Lampe Contractors, Inc. The building was renovated in 1983. The architect was Atkinson & Atkinson of Lubbock and the contractor was Wardroup & Associates of Lubbock. The building was renovated in 2012 to 2013. The architect and contractor was Grimes & Associates.
Note: The County remained unorganized until 1904. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built by F L Maupin in 1904 at a cost of $3800. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $93,000.
County Courthouse - Brownfield
Picture 1904 Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2019