Swisher County is named for James Gibson Swisher, who was a soldier in the Texas Revolution.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Briscoe County
W – Castro County
Created: August 21, 1876
Tulia 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Tulia
Location: 119 South Maxwell Avenue / SW 2nd Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Architect: Elmer George Withers
Contractor: Martin, Holderness & Oats.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building was completed in 1909 as a red colored brick and sandstone Texas Renaissance structure. In 1962, the building was completely remodeled with a center section on the west front of glass above the entrance. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The windows are vertical with red colored panels between. There is an one story north and south wing. In 1962 the building was remodeled after a fire. The architect was Rittenberry & Rittenberry & Associates and the contractor was Timmons Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story wood frame structure built in 1890. The second and present courthouse was a three story brick structure constructed in 1909.
County Courthouse - Tulia
County Courthouse before 2016
Picture Courthouse in 1908
Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2019