Sutton County is named for John Schuyler Sutton, who was a Texas Ranger and a soldier in the Texas Revolution and Mexican- American War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Kimble County
W – Crockett County
Created: April 1, 1887
Sonora 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Sonora
Location: 300 East Oak Street / North Water Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Oscar Ruffini
Contractor: Z D Gafford and A Balfanz.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The southwest front and northeast side have central projecting sections with an entrance on the first story, vertical window on the second story and small pediment at the base of the mansard roof. A stone belt runs between the first and second stories. The north and south wings extend from the main building. The mansard roof has round windows. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 2001. On the north side of Courthouse Square is the old two story stone County Jail built in 1891 and the one story Sutton County Annex designed by Gary Donaldson of San Angelo and constructed by Wilbur L Brown of San Angelo in 1984.
County Courthouse - Sonora
Old County Jail – Sonora
County Courthouse Annex – Sonora
Photos taken 2014 and 2019