Sterling County is named for W S Sterling, who was an early rancher and buffalo hunter.
Created: March 4, 1891
Sterling City 1891 – present
County Courthouse – Sterling
Location: 604 4th Street / Main Street
Built: 1937 – 1938
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: David S Castle of Abilene
Contractor: Templeton and Cannon
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a projecting center section with canopy over the first story entrance and recessed windows on the second story. There are decorated buff colored panels between the first and second story windows. The east and west wings are lower than the center section. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. The building was constructed under the Federal Emergency Administration. On the south side of the building is the old two story stone County Jail built in 1912.
Note: The first and previous courthouse was built by W M Martin in 1905.
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2014