Stephens County is named for Alexander Hamilton Stephens, who was the only vice-president of the Confederate States of America from 1861 to 1865.
Created: January 22, 1858
Breckenridge 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Breckenridge
Location: 200 West Walker Street / North Rose Avenue
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: David S Castle of Abilene
Contractor: Walsh & Burney of San Antonio
Description: The building faces south and is a four story cream colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The south front has a central arched entrance on the first story. Columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with windows between. A projecting cornice runs between the third and fourth stories. The east and west sides have projecting four columns sections. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1876. The second courthouse was a stone structure designed by James Edward Flanders and built in 1883. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $454,220.
S – Eastland County
Doorway 1883 Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2019