Starr County is named for James Harper Starr, who was a treasurer for the Republic of Texas and a Confederate official.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Hildalgo County
S – Mexico
W – Mexico and Zapata County
Created: February 10, 1848
Corpus Christi 1848
Rio Grande City 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Rio Grande City
Location: 401 North Brittan Avenue / West 4th Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Architect: Stanley Bliss
Contractor: H H Moeller
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of the city. The south front of the building has three rectangular openings at the entrance and three rectangular openings above the entrance on the second story. A white colored horizontal band runs along the bottom of the third story. Above the third story is a raised frieze along the roof line. The buildings was a Work Projects Administration project.The architect was Stanley Bliss and the contractor was H H Moeller. An addition was constructed in 1976. The architect was Gene P Hobart and the contractor was F R Hernandez Construction Company. The building was renovated in 1986. The contractor was D & F Industries and Frank Hausenfluck.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1854 and is still standing. The second courthouse was a two story structure designed and constructed by S W Brooks and built in 1881 at a cost of $20,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $115,000.
Old County Courthouse – Rio Grande City
Location: 200- West Water Street / Texas Street
Architect: Mifflin Kenedy
Contractor: Mifflin Kenedy
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The building has a second story balcony with stair at the east end. The hipped roof is green color. The building was built as a warehouse by Mifflin Kenedy and served as the courthouse until 1886. The building houses the office of the Rio Grande City Municipal Court.
County Courthouse - Rio Grande City
Old County Courthouse - Rio Grande City
Photos taken 2006 and 2014