Somervell County

US States / O-U / Texas / Somervell County
0675T09

Somervell County is named for Alexander Somervell, who was the Secretary of War for the Republic of Texas.

 

Created:  March 13, 1875

County Seat: 

Glen Rose   1875 – present

 

County Courthouse – Glen Rose   

 

Location:  Courthouse Square / NE Barnard Street & Walnut Street

Built:  1893 – 1894

Style:  Late Victorian, Romanesque Revival and General Grant

Architect:  John Cormack

Contractor:  John Cormack

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story native limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front center section projects from the building with a further projection having an arch at the first story doorway and an arched window above. The building has arched windows and a mansard roof rising to a square clock tower in the center which has a steep roof.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1882 and burned in 1893. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $13,300.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Glen Rose   

 

0683t17

 

Location:  Courthouse Square / NE Barnard Street & Walnut Street

Built:  1985 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Huckabee and Donham of Stephenville

Contractor:  Powers Contractors & Construction, Inc. of Houston

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a one story native limestone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The southeast front has a central arched entrance with recessed door. The building has no windows and the roof line is flat. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Hood County

E – Johnson County

S – Bosque County

W – Erath County

 

 

 

0670t09

County Courthouse

 

 

0671t09

 

 

0673t09

 

 

0672t09

 

 

0681t09

 

 

0677t09

 

 

0678t09

 

 

0679t09

 

 

0684t17

County Courthouse Annex

 

 

0685t17

 

 

0686t17

 

 

0689t17

Photos taken 2009 and 2017