County Office Building – Tyler ( Twelfth Court of Appeals )
Location: 1517 West Front Street / South Hill Avenue
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: H J McKenzie and Wyatt C Hedrick
Contractor: O’Rourk Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story concrete, buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southwest of the center of the city. The building is rectangular with two rectangular courtyards on the north and south sides. The windows are horizontal. The entrances have large stone sections. The roof line is flat. The building is known as the “Cotton Belt” and housed the headquarters of the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad. In 1985, the building was purchased by the County in 1985 as a courthouse annex. The building houses the Twelfth Court of Appeals with the courtroom located on the northwest side of the basement.
See: The Smith County courthouse is located in Tyler.
County Office Building – Tyler
Photos taken 2019