Sherman County is named for Sidney Sherman ( 1805-1873 ), who was a general and key leader in the Texas Army during the 1836 Texas Revolution and afterwards in the Republic of Texas.
Created: August 21, 1876
Coldwater 1889 – 1901
Stratford 1901 – present
County Courthouse – Stratford
Location: 701 North 3rd Street / Wall Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Texas Renaissance and Classical Revival
Architect: Parker & Rittenberry
Contractor: J W Mordecal
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has four large white colored columns with the three entrance doors between. There are three arched windows above the doors. A white colored ridge runs around the flat roof line. The base of the building is stone. The courtroom is located in the center of the first story. On the north side is the low jail structure constructed in 1972. The architect was Kerr & Kerr of Amarillo and the contractor was Wiley Hicks, Inc. of Plainsview.
Note: The first courthouse was built by J M Turner in Coldwater in 1890. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure designed by H W White and constructed by O W Coffee and W.H. Farmer in Stratford in 1901. The building burned in 1922. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $65,000.
E – Hansford County
S – Moore County
W – Dallam County
Photos taken 2007, 2016 and 2019