San Jacinto County is named for the Battle of San Jacinto which won Texas its independence from Mexico.
Created: August 13, 1870
Coldspring 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Coldspring
Location: 1 Church Street / Byrd Avenue
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: S Roy E Lane & Wilkes A Dowdy of Houston
Contractor: Price & Williamson
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a large portico with four high white colored Doric columns rising to a wide pediment. Above the pediment the central projecting section rises to a peak. The recessed entrance on the first story is arched. There are similar porticos on each side of the building. The third story windows are small. A small penthouse was built in the center of the roof with a glass skylight below over an interior central rotunda with concentric staircases. The roof line is flat. A Works Project Administration improvement plan led to changes in the courthouse’s original exterior architecture.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed by Thomas and Werner of Fort Worth in 1871. On March 30, 1915 fire destroyed the courthouse and the second and present courthouse was constructed. The bricks for the present courthouse were locally fired from local clay.
County Courthouse Annex – Coldspring
Location: SE – Church Street / East Cedar Avenue
Built: 1990 – 1991
Architect: Joe Cronin
Contractor: Goehrs Builders
Description: The building faces west and is a one story brick and concrete structure. The north front has an extended hipped roof supported by narrow pillars. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse in the center of the city
N – Trinity County
E – Polk County
S – Liberty County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2014