Rusk County is named for Thomas Jefferson Rusk, who was a general during the Texas Revolution.
Created: January 16, 1843
Henderson 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Henderson
Location: 115 North Main Street / Fordall Road
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Corneil G Curtis & Arthur E Thomas and A C Gentry
Contractor: Ross Maddox
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with the old jail on the northwest and the modern Justice Center on the north side. The building is “T” shaped with a west wing. The east front has large vertical windows with brown colored vertical panels between the first and second stories. The central entrance on the first story is framed with stone. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1936. The architect was Arthur E Thomas and the contractor was C S Lambie & Company..On the northwest side is the Courthouse Annex which faces south and is a rectangular three story buff colored brick and concrete structure.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1843. In 1850, the second courthouse was constructed by Cadawaller W Chaney, Joseph D Johnson and John Henderson. The third courthouse was designed by F E Ruffini and constructed by Darling & Redwine in 1878.
County Justice Center – Henderson
Location: 210 Charlevoix Street / Van Buren Street
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Johnson-McKibben Architects of Dallas
Contractor: J E Kingham Construction Company of Nacogdoches
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse. The roof line is flat. The existing jail was designed and constructed by Creative Environmental Concepts Inc. in 1987.
Photos taken 2010 and 2017