Roberts County is named for Oran Milo Roberts, the seventeenth governor of Texas, and for John S Roberts, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Ochiltree County
E – Hemphill County
S – Gray County
Created: August 21, 1876
Miami 1889 – 1890
Parnell 1890 – 1898
Miami 1898 – present
County Courthouse – Miami
Location: 369 East Commercial Street / Kiowa Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Texas Renaissance and Classical Revival
Architect: Elmer George Withers
Contractor: Bone & Parr of Amarillo
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The building sits on the landscaped grounds of a low hill in the center of the city. The northwest front has four columns rising from the first story to the second story. The center front of the building is recessed. Along the roof line is a stone balustrade. The base is brown colored brick. The courtroom is located at the center of the second story.
See: The architect, Elmer George Withers, designed a similar courthouse in Marion County in eastern Texas.
Note: The first courthouse was a wood structure built in Parnell ( Oran )in 1890 at a cost of $1,500. The building was moved in 1898 to Miami when the county seat was moved. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $43,000.
County Courthouse - Miami
Photos taken 2007 and 2019