Randall County is named for Horace Randall, who was a Confederate brigadier general in the American Civil War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Potter County
E – Armstrong County
Created: August 21, 1876
Canyon 1887 – present
Old County Courthouse – Canyon
Location: 400 16th Street / 5th Avenue
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Robert George Kirch
Contractor: Alcoat & Skinner
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building sits on landscaped grounds in the center of Courthouse Square in the center of Canyon. The center section extends slightly from the building and there is a wide header over the entrance, A cornice extends around the top of the building. The building was remodeled in 1945 when the tower was removed. An annex was built in 1957. The square brick clock tower which was removed in 1945, was restored to the building in 2009. The building is presently vacant. The building was renovated in 2010.
See: The architect, Robert Geoege Kirsch designed courthouses in Missouri in Adair County, Carroll County, Cooper County, Polk County and Vernon County, in Texas in Hemphill County, and in Wisconsin in Oconto County and Waukesha County.
Note: In 1967, a modern two story dark red colored brick structure was constructed on the north side of the courthouse.. The architect was Clayton B Shiver and Russell A Megert and the contractor was John F Moss. The building was demolished in 2010.
County Judicial Center – Canyon
Location: 2309 Russell Long Boulevard / North 23rd Street
Built: 2005 – 2006
Architect: Sims & Parge
Contractor: Western Building
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored concrete and glass structure. The building was a former Walmart store and is located to the northeast of the center of the city. The south front has a large semi-circular wall with rectangular openings. The main section of the building is red colored concrete stone and the central entrance is recessed behind the circular wall. The roof line. The building is named as the Randall County Justice Center.
History: The county was created ion 1878 and Canyon was selected as the county seat in 1887 when the county was organized. first courthouse was a frame structure built by Joe T Service in 1892. The second courthouse is the 1908 courthouse. An addition was constructed in 1967 and demolished in 2010. The third courthouse was constructed in 1984 and is now the County Finance Building.
County Courthouse – Canyon
Courthouse in 2006 without clock tower
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2019