Potter County is named for Robert Potter, an early legislator, secretary of the navy for the Republic of Texas and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Created: August 21, 1876
Amarillo 1887 – present
Old County Courthouse – Amarillo
Location: 500 South Fillmore Street / West 6th Avenue
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William C Townes of Townes, Lightfoot and Funk
Contractor: C S Lambie & Company
Description: The building faces west and is an eight story white colored stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front of the building has a large stone arch over the three archway entrances. The center section rises seven stories with lower wings on the north and south. The building now houses county offices.
See: The contractor, C S Lambie & Company, also constructed courthouses in New Mexico in Quaty County, Roosevelt County and Sierra County and in Texas in Childress County, Gregg County, Hutchinson County, Moore County and Ward County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by James E Flander and constructed by Otho Roquemore in 1906.
County Courthouse – Amarillo
Location: 501 South Fillmore Street / West 6th Avenue
Built: 1984 – 1986
Architect: Hucker & Pargé and Ward-Brown Associates
Contractor: Wiley Hicks Jr. Inc. of Amarillo
Description: The building faces west and is an eight story white colored concrete and glass structure. The building has curved corners and vertical windows. The windowless center section projects westwards and rises above the roof line. The roof line is flat. The building houses the District Court and is located on the east side of the old courthouse. The building is named as the County Courts Building. The building houses the Seventh Court of Appeals.
N – Moore County
E – Carson County
S – Randall County
W – Oldham County
Photos taken 2006 and 2016