Pecos County is named for the Pecos River which flows through western Texas, and the river was named by the Spanish for the Keresan name for the Pecos Pueblo.
Created: May 3, 1871
Fort Stockton 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Stockton
Location: 103 West Callaghan Street / South Nelson Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: L B Westerman
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces south and is a three story course buff stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The square building has porticoes on each side with four columns rising to headers at the roof line. A cornice runs below the roof line which has rising sections over the porticoes and at the corners. The courtroom is located on the second story.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1882 to 1883 by an unknown architect and contractor. The second and present courthouse is a complete remodel of the old two story building.
County Judicial Building – Fort Stockton
Location: 401 South Nelson Street / West James Street
Built: 1987 – 1989
Architect: Donald R Goss of San Angelo
Contractor: Monterey Construction Company of Wolfforth
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city on the west side of the courthouse. The east front has a large arch at the center with a recessed glass wall. On the north and south sides are red colored brick wings. The roof land is flat.
County Courthouse Annex – Fort Stockton
Location: 200 South Nelson Street / West Callaghan Street
Built: 2006 – 2007
Architect: Burns and Gill Architects Inc. of Fort Worth
Contractor: M EBCO General Contractor, Ltd. of Cameron
Description: The building faces east and is a one story cream colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the northwest of the courthouse. The west front has a recessed central entrance with the wall rising to a peak above. On the center of the roof is a large white colored cupula. The entrance lobby has the high space under the dome. On the northeast of the lobby is the courtroom. The first building was constructed in 1953 on the site of the courthouse and was torn down when the new building was completed. The architect was Hank Avery and Lee & Mike Hunter.
S – Brewster County
County Judicial Building
County Courthouse Annex
Former 1953 Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2014 and 2019