Parmer County is named for Martin Parmer, an early settler and Texas Revolution veteran.
Created: August 21, 1876
Parmerton 1907 – 1908
Farwell 1908 – present
County Courthouse – Farwell
Location: 401 3rd Street / Avenue D South
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Risser & Townes
Contractor: W M Rice Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front of the building has three arches supported by two large columns at a recessed entrance portico. On the second story is a recessed balcony over the entrance. At the roof line is a white colored stone crest and stone trim. The architect was Risser & Townes and the contractor was W M Rice Construction Company. An addition was constructed on the north side in 1974 to house the Law Enforcement Center. The architect was Warren Pendleton & Associates and the contractor was John C Cornell Inc. On the east side is the old County Jail.
See: The contractor, William M Rice of Amarillo, also constructed courthouses as W M Rice Construction Company in Bailey County, Briscoe County, Cochran County, Freestone County, Limestone County, Lipscomb County, Oldham County and Wood County and designed the courthouse in Lynn County..
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1907 at Parmerton and was moved t0 Friona. The building burned. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $50,000.
E – Castro County
W – Curry County, New Mexico
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2007, 2016 and 2019