Panola County

US States / O-U / Texas / Panola County
1708T10

Panola County is named for the Native American word for “cotton”.

 

Created:  March 30, 1846

County Seat: 

Carthage  1846 – present

 

County Courthouse – Carthage  

 

Location:  110 South Sycamore Street / West Sabine Street

Built:  1952 – 1953

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Preston M Geren

Contractor:  Eitze-Kitchens Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east center section rises higher and projects forward. The windows on the second story form a horizontal band. The north and south corner sections project from the main building and have wide connected windows. The sections on either side of the center are recessed and have wide windows. The roof line is flat. On the northwest corner is the modern buff colored brick Judicial Center. To the east on North Shelby Street is the old County Jail built in 1891.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1846. The second courthouse was also a log structure built at a cost of $200. The third courthouse was a wood frame structure built at a cost of $150. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure. The fifth courthouse was a Gothic structure designed by John Joseph Emmett Gibson and constructed by J M Brown in 1885 at a cost of $27,375.

 

County Judicial Center – Carthage  

 

1710t10

 

Location:  110 South Sycamore Street / West Sabine Street

Built:  2001 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Burl R Richardson

Contractor:  J E Kingham Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city on the northwest side of the courthouse. The east front has a large one story portico supported by brick pillars and having a green colored roof. Thin horizontal bands run above and below the windows. The roof line is flat. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Harrison County

E – Caddo Parish, Louisiana and De Soto Parish, Louisiana

S – Shelby County

W – Rusk County

 

 

 

353t19

County Courthouse

 

 

1706t10

 

 

1707t10

 

 

1709t10

 

 

1711t10

 

 

363t19

County Judicial Center

 

 

361t19

 

 

359t19

 

 

362t19

 

 

1712t10

 

 

 

1718t10

Old County Jail

 

 

1719t10

 

 

371t19

 

 

1705t10

Panola County

Photos taken 2010 and 2019