Moore County is named for Edwin Ward Moore, who was the commodore of the Texas navy during the Republic of Texas.
Created: August 21, 1876
Dumas 1892 – present
County Courthouse – Dumas
Location: 715 South Dumas Avenue / East 8th Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Architect: Berry & Hatch of Amarillo
Contractor: C S Lambie and Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a stone trimmed entrance with three archways. The center section rises higher with a stone finish above the third story windows with two large figures representing Justice on either side of the stone frieze. There is also stone trim above the other third story windows. The base of the building is also light colored stone. This was a Work Projects Administration project.
See: The architect, Berry & Hatch, also designed the courthouse in Collingsworth County.
See: The contractor, C S Lambie & Company, also constructed courthouses in New Mexico in Quaty County, Roosevelt County and Sierra County and in Texas in Childress County, Gregg County, Hutchinson County, Potter County and Ward County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by J B Girand and built by T J Ryan in 1893.
N – Sherman County
S – Potter County
W – Hartley County
Photos taken 2006 and 2016