Montague County is named for Daniel Montague, who was a surveyor of the Fannin Land District and a veteran of the Mexican War.
Created: December 24, 1857
Montague 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Montague
Location: 101 Franklin Street / Grand Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George Burnett of Waco
Contractor: A Z Rogers of Henrietta
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The south and north sides have large porticoes supported by four large white columns with a pediment at the roof line. There is white colored trim around the windows and horizontal white colored bands on the extended sections of the building. The courtroom is located at the southeast side of the second story. The building was remodeled in 1939 when the dome was removed. The contractor was T Lacey. The building was renovated in 1985 to 1986. The architect was Conrad Staley & Associates of Wichita Falls. On the southeast side is the red colored brick Jail.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1858 and burned on February 25, 1873. The second courthouse was built in 1878 by John Thomas of Fort Worth at a cost of $22,000. The building burned on March 31, 1884. The previous courthouse was designed by Kane & Son and constructed by Thomas J Jarrell in 1885 at a cost of $35,000. On July 5, 1905, a tornado ripped through the northern and central part of Montague County and the courthouse was severely damaged. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $100,000.
County Courthouse Annex – Montague
Location: NW – Highway 59 / Grand Street
Built: 2012 – 2013
Architect: Harper Perkins Architects Inc. of Wichita Falls
Contractor: M & F Litteken Company of Wichita Falls
Description: The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town to the north of the courthouse. The south front has two one story porticoes supported by two pillars. The west end has a wide porch. The red colored roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the south side near the west side.
E – Cooke County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019