Menard County is named for Michael Branamour Menard, who was the founder of Galveston, Texas.
Created: January 22, 1858
Menard 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Menard
Location: 213 San Saba Street / Gay Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Architect: Withers & Thompson of Fort Worth
Contractor: E D Porter
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. There are two story wings on the east and west sides. The north entrance is a one story extension and is framed by a rectangular opening. The base of the building is concrete and the roof line is flat. The building was restored in 2006. The architect was Wagner & Klein, Inc. and the contractor was Stoddard Construction Company.
See: The architect, Withers & Thompson, also designed the courthouse in Young County. The construction materials are different in both courthouses, but the internal and external design is very similar.
Note: Previous courthouses were built in 1880 and 1886. The 1886 courthouse was designed by T P Minor and constructed by Vickory & Hayes.
S – Kimble County
Photos taken 2006 and 2017