Medina County

US States / O-U / Texas / Medina County
0948T09

Medina County is named for the Medina River which flows through the county, and the river was named for Pedro Medina, a Spanish engineer.

 

Created:  February 12, 1848

County Seat: 

Castroville  1848 – 1892

Hondo        1892 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hondo

 

Location:  1100 16th Street / Avenue M

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Martin, Byrne & Johnston

Contractor:  Martin, Byrne & Johnston

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story yellowish colored limestone  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a small stone framed doorway with balcony on the second story and rising to a peaked roof above the third story. The building is recessed on the east and west with two story wings on the east and west sides. The center of the roof rises with a low red colored roofed section. In 1938 to 1940, the building was enlarged with two story wings added and the clock tower removed. The architect was Joseph Palle and the contractor was F T Drought Drought under the Work Projects Administration using local labor. In 1988, the building was restored. The architect was Jesse O Fernandez and the contractor was Merkin Construction Inc. and Hydro Lazer DBA White Stone Contractors. On the northeast side is the two story limestone jail constructed in 1893.

 

Note:  The cost of construction of the courthouse was $40,000. The stone for the building was quarried from Joseph Decker’s ranch which was seven miles northeast of Hondo.

 

Old County Courthouse – Castroville

 

1316t09

 

Location:  1209 Fiorella Street / London Street

Built:  1854 – 1855

Style:  Second Renaissance Revival

Architect:  Joseph Burger

Contractor:  Joseph Burger

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has 18 inch thick walls. On the west side are double steps to the second story entrance. An addition was built in 1879. The contractor was Blasius Kiefler. The building was remodeled in 1936.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Bandera County

E – Bexar County and Atascosa County 

S – Frio County

W – Uvalde County

.

 

 

0947t09

County Courthouse

 

 

0949t09

 

 

0950t09

 

 

0951t09

 

 

0952t09

 

 

0309t17

 

 

0311t17

 

 

0312t17

 

 

0313t17

 

 

0314t17

 

 

0315t17

 

 

0953t09

 

 

0954t09

 

 

0317t17

 

 

0955t09

 

 

0319t17

Old County Jail

 

 

0320t17

 

 

0321t17

 

 

1317t09

Old County Courthouse

 

 

1318t09

 

 

 

1319t09

 

 

1320t09

 

 

1321t09

Photos taken 2009 and 2017